Things you need to know about downsizing and liquidation
One of the most stressful events in life is downsizing or liquidating. Whatever the reason for the event, understanding the options and places to get advice can reduce your stress. Knowledge is power.
Whether you are just starting to plan an estate downsizing or need to liquidate personal property quickly, you are in the right place. We have been in this business for many years and are happy to share our knowledge to help you better understand the process, the options, and the “gotchas” so your experience will be smooth and stress-free.
Hunt & Peck Estate Services, Inc. is a boutique estate liquidator and online auction company which has lovingly serviced the Washington DC Metropolitan area for over 15 years. We are adding locations including the Boston/NH area and the Charlottesville, VA area.
We have many years of experience advising and helping clients downsize and liquidate estates and collections.
We are happy so share our knowledge and experience via TV shows, published articles, and an overview of the process we use at Hunt and Peck to help you better understand and prepare. Of course, contact us if you have additional questions or want to discuss your particular situation.
Hunt and Peck TV Series on Better Than Gossip
Hunt and Peck in published articles:
- The Pitfalls of Downsizing
- When Inheritance is a Mixed Blessing
- Quality Vs. Quantity: Who Wins the Estate Sale Equation?
- Solutions for the Post-Covid Consumer
- The Paradox of Self Storage
- From Death to Downsizing: How to Avoid a Forced Liquidation
- Where Does It All Go?
- How to value the stuff you inherited
- How To Know If Your Parents’ Stuff Has Value
- Aging Parents With Lots of Stuff, and Children Who Don’t Want It
- Sorry, Nobody Wants Your Parents’ Stuff
The basic H&P process for downsizing or liquidating:
- Contact Hunt and Peck Estate Services via our contact us page or call us. We will ask for photos and/or a list of items. If photos or lists are not possible, we can send one of our team members for a site review.
- Our team will assess the quantity and quality of the items to determine the best venue(s) to sell particular items and formulate an estimate of the total value. Depending on the estate, multiple sales venues may be used to maximize your revenue. Note that not all estates will meet minimum requirements for an estate sale or auction. We will provide advice either way.
- If an estate sale is appropriate we will work with you to pick sale dates, plan the setup of the estate and the items, take some photographs, and begin advertising as soon as possible.
- If some or all of your items are best sold online, we will coordinate pick-up and transport of these items to our warehouse where they are inventoried, researched, photographed, and cataloged. These items will be presented for online bidding to hundreds of thousands of bidders worldwide.
- After the close of the estate sale and/or auction we will collect on invoices and manage and assist with pick-up and shipping of all your items to the respective purchasers and winning bidders.
- After close of the sale(s), you will receive payment and auction records within 4 weeks.